Friday, May 4, 2012

Interview: Jay Gordon (ORGY)

   Orgy is a kinky cocktail, merging different sounds of various genres, resulting in the perfect combination. Being described as 'death pop' by the band itself, the project seemed to be idle, permanently in the opinion of many fans, but resignation turned to hope in 2010, when some rumors started spinning around in the air. Singer Jay Gordon is here to clear them for us and brought some great news.



pdn: Hello, Jay! I've heard that you named the band Orgy because it is a mixture of a few music genres; where did the different influences come from in the first place? 

Jay: Well I'd have to say the early Orgy influences were definitely fueled by a lots of Bowie, Ministry, and believe it or not a dash of Duran Duran (only because I saw how being a bit sophisticated can go a long way for some bands, and not because I loved lots of their songs). I'd also say The Cure, but only they can do what they do best. I just love them, as does Paige the original bass player. On the other side, there was lots of Drum and bass influences from me, and a little bit of what became Electro house, and that tops it off.

pdn: When and how was your musical career initiated, at what age?  

Jay: That's tough, cause I can't remember a time, I wasn't banging on something, or trying to pronounce someone's words, like my little boy does now. It's so funny. Anyhow I had to be 2 or 3 would be my first recollection, that my connection to music, was more than just a hobby. My dad was also in the business ever since I could remember so I was on stages, and in studios since the beginning of mankind. lol. I'd have to say getting on stage with my godfather Sly Stone, at the age of 3.5, Sly handed me a tambourine, and it was off to the races ever since.

pdn: What are some of your fiery passions, besides music?
Jay: I'm dabbling into writing a script or 2, because I dig movies. If they are good ones. 

pdn: Is there something you could never imagine your life without?

Jay: Ew, that question scares me. I'd have to say my little guy absolutely first and foremost. Sad question to ask, cause that could mean a lot of different things. If you asked it as something musical, I'd have to say would be my computers. I rely on them implicitly.

pdn: How did your collaboration with Jonathan Davis start? Was it friendship?

Jay: I asked him to collab on a track for Candyass, and since he signed us, I figured he would say yes considering he wanted it to be a success as much as we did. After that he needed people to sing the Queen of the damned tracks, and I got to choose the track I wanted, which was "slept so long", which was special to me, as that was the song he sang in the movie, and out of all the talent that was involved, he gave me first option. I love Jon Jon, and he will always have a place in our hearts. If it weren't for that guy, there might have never been Orgy. He took a big chance on an unknown band, and it worked out for the best. I've told him this many times, but thanks again Jon Jon!

pdn: You've had collaborations with numerous bands; if you could choose any band at all, who would you like to share the stage with in some upcoming shows?

Jay: Pretty much any band that would be before or after us at the next Coachella, and I'm not saying we are doing that, It's wishful thinking I suppose. haha!

pdn: There were a lot of rumors circulating about an Orgy reunion around 2010, but as far as I know that did not happen with the old members and you took the revival of the project in your hands. What is Orgy doing at the moment and how does the current line-up look?


Jay: Yeah well the way I saw it, it might have not happened for a long while if we just kept waiting, so I honestly felt like it was something I really had/wanted to do. I decided to make it happen, and as for the new lineup, they are all really good musician's and can't thank them enough for taking a chance with me. Things are looking like we need to make a new Orgy record, and that's exactly what we are doing.

pdn: Many of your lyrics seem to be about disappointmentin a way? What inspired them, were they real events?

Jay: I guess you must have read them wrong then? I write happy sappy love songs. Songs that people want to fuck to. haha what else can I say. Certainly not about disappointment, although, maybe at the time I wrote the lyrics, I was disappointed at having to actually write them. You know as opposed to them writing themselves. =)

pdn: Thank you for your time! Any words you would like to add for your friends, eager fans around the world?

Jay: Sit tight!! This is gonna happen in a big way however we have to go about getting there, and to all of the fans around the world who didn't get to catch us the first time around... Thanks for being there, and being patient. I love all you amazing lunatics!

http://www.orgymusic.com
http://www.last.fm/music/Orgy

3 comments:

  1. love jay gorodon pls hurry with the cd!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gang-related shooting happened at Southcenter Mall.

    ReplyDelete