Monday, October 30, 2017

Interview: Juha Kylmänen (FULL NOTHING/ REFLEXION/ FOR MY PAIN)

  From the heart of Finnish melancholy come supergroup For My Pain, Reflexion, and of course, Full Nothing.  Also formerly performing on vocals in Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Juha Kylmänen's  voice gave all of these projects a unique note and an amalgam of feelings. It is an honor to have him here today for a little chat. Enjoy, guys!

pdn: Hei there, Juha! Firstly, could you please elaborate a bit on the times when you started getting into rock/metal and then actually becoming active musically?

Juha: I think it was my brother who introduced me into 80's rock at first place. Queensryche, Tarot, Twisted sister, Y&T etc. was constantly played in our house. When I was about 12-13 I met a friend who had a band and with him we started composing our own songs and listened music aaaaall the time. So i started as a drummer but ended up to vocals since nobody else wanted to sing. We formed our first metal band "Predominance" and played shitty weird songs named "Braindead" Evil´s dead, Dark Forest etc... ouh.. sincere and happy times indeed... We even made a show in our school at winter 1993.. I think.  After that I met the Reflexion guys when I was doing a demo for Predominance and joined them as singer.

pdn: You have made a lot of music that meant a lot to many. Tell me, is Full Nothing your main project at the moment, or are you working on anything else in parallel?

Juha: Full Nothing is my main thing in music now. We are finishing the second album soon. Next week we are going to Stockholm for a month to mix the album there. It's not a far out trip for me, but I bet that the Argentina guys will be surprised much more =)  The freezing weather mostly I think. I'm also doing a lot of recording and producing work to other bands in my studio nowadays. To be honest I haven't stopped writing music, nothing like that .. I'm composing all the time, but only time will tell where my songs will end up ..maybe some secret projects going on... hahahhah =)  

pdn: What about For My Pain, as I've seen, the official status on some sites is "On Hold". Are there any known chances of resuming the short-lived yet really successful "formula"?

Juha : Hmmm.. At this point, I must say " No comment" on this one. You can decide is it a good or a bad news. 


pdn: Even though the elements make it pretty clear, I'd prefer to let you tell me: What are the main sources of inspiration when you write music? We can get caught up in certain moments, scents, emotions etc... And did these change along the way or you seek your muse in the same things? Also, any "rituals" you have for when creating?

Juha: This changes for me a lot. I must say that my personal life affects to my songs the most, obviously.. Since they are pretty much stories of my own struggles in here spiced with something we call " Lapin lisä". Means that I tend to push the stories to the point where reality meets imagination.. or something.  I can't really create my inspiration.. its more vice versa.. I start to paddle when the flow of inspiration arrives. I've also learned that years as we call.. our age, changes the perspective how I write. The only hard part in writing is the self criticism... It destroys 90% of the new ideas... so that is what years gives to composers.. but I try control it by getting drunk enough to forget the fact that Im old. =)
 

pdn: Which was your favourite show to play overall, and why? What made it stand out?



Juha: I have to say that all the Russian tours have been the best. Reflexion was very welcomed band there always and people were kind and  simply loved our music. We had.. well and still have some very special friends there who made our tours to work perfectly and they made the trips easy for us. We just enjoyed the playing and everything else was taken care of, that's what makes a perfect show to happen for me. 


pdn: There are many sides to being a musician, no doubt. But what is the most rewarding thing about being part of the music scene as an artist for you, personally?

Juha: Well, it's simply the fact that I can create something that gives a platform to enjoy and flow thru emotions. To realize that someone can experience happiness, love, crisis, darkness any great emotion by listening my music. Also I have to mention the fact That music has given me an opportunity to work all around the world. Especially Full Nothing,that have opened the door to visit the beautiful Argentina.

pdn: Favorite bands growing up? And if you had to choose only five albums to listen to for the rest of your life, which would these be?

Juha: The Cardigans "Long gone before daylight".  The doors "The doors", GNR "Use your
illusion II", Carcass "Heartwork"  Mr.Big " Lean into It".

pdn: Are you involved in any other activities that you are passionate about, outside of music?

Juha: I love fly fishing, MTB, Single malt whiskey and making love (last two works also combined).


pdn: Are there any plans for the near future? Can we expect a new release or tour, maybe?


Juha: Yes! As I said earlier .. Next week we are heading to Stockholm to mix the new Full Nothing album. It will be mixed by Mr. Dave Castillo. He was chosen to do the job among many other top of the line mix engineers in the world, simply based on the work he has done in the past. Amazing guy. The new Full nothing album will blow your mind! Its an unbelievable creation of music. Biggest production in my entire musical history, even all the albums I've made so far would be combined. The new album will contain string scores played by The Bratislava string orchestra. Having real string scores on the album is a huge dream come true to me and now its finally happening, it's awesome! There will be also some new faces/voices featuring on vocals with me. The whole making the album process has been an unbelievable adventure to me and this album is a creation of no compromises. We have put all the effort to make it sound just like we want. As you can see I'm veeeery excited !! 
 

pdn: Thank you kindly for your time! Is there anything you would like to add for your friends and fans in closing?

Juha: Thanks you! Follow the upcoming Full nothing news, I can assure its worth it =) Take care now, bye bye then =) 

https://www.facebook.com/fullnothingmusic/
http://www.fullnothing.com/
https://fullnothingmusic.bandcamp.com/album/full-nothing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfSFQVu1Fvd8qF6xr2-cKrw


2 comments:

  1. Hyvä Juupeli mahtavaa musakkaa terveisiä Tiuranpajalta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and
    I find It really useful & it helped me out much.
    I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

    ReplyDelete